Wednesday, September 3, 2014

How I Wash My Makeup Brushes

Welcome to the first technical post on this blog! I thought I would tackle this subject because there are sOoOo many different tactics to use, and I wanted the chance to brag about my favorite method. This method is easy, effective, and cheap -- these are a few of my favorite things (5 bonus points if you get the reference)!


The Ingredients
  • 1 cup of warm water
  • 1 tablespoon of liquid dish soap
  • 1 tablespoon of white distilled vinegar
  • aaaaand nothing else, because this recipe is super easy!
Make sure the water is warm. Cold water won't be as effective and hot water will be too harsh for the bristles. Liquid dish soap has an ingredient in it that is specifically for breaking up oils, which makeup brushes tend to be full of, and the vinegar acts as a disinfectant. Also, these amounts can easily be halved, doubled, or tripled, depending on the size of your brush collection.

The Process
  1. Take a cup and fill it with warm water. Depending on the size of your brush collection, you may need to use quite a large cup or more than one. I use two cups: one for face brushes and one for eyeshadow brushes. Also, now is the time where some guess work is required - your brushes will be soaking in this cup with the cleaning liquid, so the cup needs to be the appropriate size so the top of the ferrule isn't underwater.
  2. Add the liquid dish soap.
  3. Add the vinegar.
  4. Give the solution a good stir.
  5. Place your brushes, bristles down, into the solution taking care that the solution isn't above the ferrule and let them soak for about 10 minutes. You do not want water above the ferrule, as it can cause mold. If you need too, pour out some of the solution.
  1. After soaking, spend time cleaning and rinsing each brush as needed. Some brushes will just need a few strokes against your fingers, some will require some more soap and legitimate washing. Do not hold your brushes directly bristles up while they are wet. 
  2. Once your brushes are clean and free of product, reshape the brushes and lay flat to dry.

The Alternatives
There are a few variations of my process that I have come across that I'd like to share with you as well.
  1. If you have natural hair brushes, you may decide to use a little bit of olive oil in the solution. If that is the case, leave out the vinegar and use antibacterial soap with a little bit of olive oil. The ratio should be 4:1. The olive oil will condition your natural hair brushes. This is something I would never do because I already have oily, acne-prone skin and I wouldn't feel comfortable using the brush until all the oil was rinsed clean, thus defeating the purpose.
  2. If you have a large brush collection, using your fingers for any deep cleaning might cause some rawness and irritation, so investing in a cleaning surface might be worth your while. There are several on the market. Perhaps the most expensive is the Sigma brush spa glove. This will run you $35. Cheaper options are the Brush Egg ($8) and regular silicone pot holders (various prices). Make sure to get a pot holder with a coarse surface, such as ridged or bumpy. If you're feeling really creative and have sons, you can even use a Lego building plate. I have seen someone use a kitchen sponge as a cleaning surface, but I personally did not like that. 
  3. Some artists recommend hanging your brushes upside down to dry, because laying them flat can cause water damage. I have been laying my brushes flat for years and have never had any issues, but if you're feeling a little paranoid, there are a few options for hanging them up. A pricier option is a brush tree. If you'd like to keep your makeup brush cleaning cheap, you can get creative with some hair ties and plastic hangers.
FAQ
Q: Why should I wash my makeup brushes?
A: We use makeup brushes as a means to apply product to our faces. That product can build up in your brushes, along with any oils and bacteria the bristles pick up from your face. All that gunk will just sit in your brush...until the next time you use it. Any product, oil, or bacteria in your brushes can be applied to your face, causing breakouts and affecting makeup application.

Q: How often should I wash my makeup brushes?
A: My goal is to deep clean my brushes every weekend. Realistically though, I clean them about every 10 days or so.

Q: Why should I make a homemade cleaning solution when I can just buy brush shampoo?
A: Buying brush shampoo can be expensive! It can run you anywhere from $15-$30, and that can be for only 5 oz of liquid. With my recipe, I doubt I've spent $30 in the last few years on cleaning my brushes.

Q: What is spot cleaning?
A: Spot cleaning is when you take a few seconds to wipe your brushes against a clean surface in order to remove the immediate product. This is usually done with eyeshadow brushes so you don't get color transference. You can invest in an everyday, spot cleaning solution. I recommend the ELF daily brush cleaner ($3). Just spritz the cleaner on the bristles and swirl it on a clean wash cloth or towel.

Q: How long does this method take?
A: Taking into consideration the size of my makeup brush collection, this method takes maybe 40ish minutes. A minute or two to make the solution, 10 minutes to soak, and then give or take 30 minutes to clean and rinse each brush. 


I hope you found this post helpful! If you have any questions (or kind criticisms), feel free to comment below or DM me on Insta!




How do you clean your brushes?

3 comments:

  1. Great post....I have also used baby soap/shampoo too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, I don't. However, now I know some great ways to thanks to your post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A powerful share, I just given this onto a colleague who was doing somewhat evaluation on this. And he in actual fact purchased me breakfast because I found it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for the deal with! But yeah Thnkx for spending the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love reading extra on this topic. If possible, as you turn into expertise, would you thoughts updating your weblog with extra particulars? It’s highly helpful for me. Big thumb up for this weblog put up! best products for eczema

    ReplyDelete